March 29, 2016
The air ducts in your home work in partnership with your heater and air conditioner to circulate air, but when your air ducts are dirty, it’s more than just air that’s moving from room to room. Dirty air ducts spread things like dirt, dust, and other allergens throughout your home, and those particulates are seriously affecting your indoor air quality as well as the efficiency of your HVAC system. Precision Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling is your number-one company for Willowbrook, IL heating & air that is dedicated to providing homeowners with expert HVAC services. Cleaning your air ducts is an important task, and Precision offers these tips to help you get the job done right.
- Check The Vent Covers: Your first clue that your air ducts need to be cleaned will come from the vent covers. If you can see dirt and dust clinging to the vent opening, the inside of the ducts will be even worse. Your first step in cleaning your air ducts is to remove the vent covers and wash them in warm, soapy water.
- Look for Mold: Mold loves to grow in dark, moist places, and, unfortunately, air ducts often fit that bill. Before you go any further in your cleaning, first check to see if there are any signs of mold growth. Mold is extremely harmful to your health, and when it’s in your air ducts, it’s a serious problem.
- Find the Source: If you do find mold in your ducts, removing it won’t be the end of your problems. You need to find out why mold is growing there in the first place. Air ducts are always dark, but they shouldn’t be wet. Finding the source of that moisture and putting an end to it is the only way to permanently beat your mold issue.
- Look for Clogs: If your air ducts have gone a long time without being cleaned, they could be clogged. Dirt, dust, hair, and even dead insects find a way into your ducts, and as that debris accumulates, it blocks air flow. Clean these blockages by using a vacuum or a long handled brush.
- Choose the Right Professional: Duct cleaning is a chore that many homeowners take on by themselves, but your air ducts need professional attention at least once a year. Professional equipment is capable of reaching even those hard-to-get-to areas, and hiring a professional is the safest way to handle mold and mildew. Choose a Willowbrook heating & air company that offers you quality service at a competitive rate.
Improve your air quality and extend the life of your HVAC system by trusting Precision Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling with all of your duct cleaning needs. Call them today to schedule an appointment with their team of experts for Willowbrook, IL heating & air.